If you’re a marketer who hates QR codes, you don’t know what you’re missing. QR or Quick Response codes, those square, garbled-looking images readable by smartphones, are being scanned in unprecedented numbers.
About 120 QR codes were scanned every minute during the last quarter of 2012, according to research from ScanLife, a global provider of cloud solutions. That’s almost six times the 24 codes scanned per minute during the same period in 2011.
QR code scans jumped 300% in 2011 over 2010—and that number will only continue to rise.
comScore research indicates that as many as 53% of American adults own smartphones—and they’re scanning those codes to access anything from loyalty programs to contests.
Research also shows that most people (70%) scanning QR codes are male and that they tend to be older than 25 (three out of four are 25+).
Don’t hate on QR codes. People, who more than likely are in your target audience, see them and scan them. When used properly, QR codes are a bridge between you and your audience, connecting the online world with the offline world.
Before you make your own QR code with ePromos’ free QR code generator, follow these best practices:
- Ensure your QR codes serve a purpose—they should always bring some kind of value to your audience.
- Always consider where the QR code will be printed—you want people to notice it.
- Make sure your QR code is scannable—that means nothing smaller than one inch square.
- Don’t make your QR code a surprise—always tell users what they can expect when they scan. Tell them if they’ll get product reviews or a coupon, for example.
- Test and track your QR codes.
Promo know-how tip:
QR codes are meant to be a shortcut, so don’t over-complicate them. The goal is for people to scan, take a quick action and be done. Make your own QR codes now, or give our Brand Consultants a call for help.