New Zealand based pizza chain “Hell Pizza” has been shocking audiences with edgy advertising since its inception in 1996. While “hell” probably wouldn’t be my first theme choice for a pizza brand, I have to admit it does get your attention! Sometimes it’s the risky ideas that find their niche and enjoy unexpected success with customers. Some of Hell’s memorable marketing tidbits include:
- Seven of the pizzas are named after the seven deadly sins (They used 170,000 custom condoms to help promote “Lust” pizza on Halloween in 2006!).
- The dessert and drinks sections on their menu are named ambrosia and nectar respectively.
- The stores have custom wallpaper, lava lights, flaming seats and wicked chandeliers
- The large pizza boxes have a cut-out of a coffin, “for your remains.”
- The anti-litter message on the box says to “dispose of the evidence.”